Team Leader - Finance & Travel
JOB TITLE: Team Leader – Finance & Travel
REPORTS TO: Deputy Director of Resources
To be responsible to the Deputy Director of Resources for the performance of accounting functions with the Finance Team of the Ascension Island Government.
- To support the accurate preparation, delivery and reporting of the accounts.
- Responsible to perform the role as Senior Customs Officer, leading and delegating to team of customs officers as appropriate.
- Manage all sales transactions including chasing outstanding debt.
- To manage and oversee the flight bookings system, including incoming and outgoing charges.
- To support the Administrator in producing expenditure claims to FCDO.
- In conjunction with the Shipping Agent, agree disbursement accounts, making payments and collection of fees as appropriate.
- To facilitate and support the Finance Team training and development programme.
- To assist in preparation of financial forecasting and liaise with Team Leaders to ensure confidence in reporting.
- To provide general financial support to all Government Teams and Team Leaders.
- To perform extended duties in the absences of the Deputy Director of Resources or other staff as required.
- To undertake any other tasks as determined appropriate by the Director or Deputy Director of Resources.
- Participation in individual or group meetings as required.
- To keep abreast of current accounting developments and techniques with a particular focus on UK GAAP and financial reporting standards.
- To be proactive in the delivery of added value initiatives.
- To retain confidentiality of information and professional integrity.
- To attend any necessary or developmental course as agreed.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: Knowledge, skills, experience and personal attributes
- Full understanding of accruals or resource accounting
- Understanding and experience of audit framework
- Knowledge of Sage Accounting Modules
- IT Skills, especially MS Excel, Outlook and Word.
- A good general education is essential. Possession of at least three GCSE’s at Grade C or equivalent.
- A minimum of 5 years working in a finance environment or an accountancy qualification to at least Technician level.
- Experience of working with a range of staff including senior managers.
- Experience of budgeting and forecasting techniques.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and ability to proactively work unsupervised.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills are essential in order to work as an effective member of a team and to deal with the public and other Government teams in an efficient and polite manner.
- Experience of supporting the delivery of public service statutory accounts and statements.
- Understanding and experience of UK GAAP and financial reporting standards.
- Understanding and experience of ‘best value’, ‘added value’ and ‘continuous improvement’ concepts
- Higher level accountancy skills/qualification.
- Presentation skills.
This Job Description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
The Ascension Island Government (AIG) reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time, according to operational needs. Any changes will be discussed with you and confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with AIG the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.