Policy, Projects and Communications Officer
ASCENSION ISLAND GOVERNMENT
JOB TITLE: Policy, Projects and Communications Officer
TEAM: Administrator’s Office
REPORTS TO: Head of Administrator’s Office
JOB PURPOSE: To support the work of the Administrator’s Office and Senior Management Team (SMT) by leading on the delivery of key government policy and projects, underpinned by effective external and internal communications. The Policy, Projects and Communications Officer will report to the Head of the Administrator’s Office and will work closely on a day-to-day basis with the Administrator’s Office and the SMT across a broad range of areas/activity.
- Support the Administrator’s Office, SMT and Island Council through provision and development of high quality, well evidenced and robust policy advice to AIG.
- Develop, shape and influence government policy across all government directorates to deliver AIG strategic objectives and ensure consistency of approach, delivery and enforcement.
- Work across all SMT areas by leading on developing government policy, and the delivery of special projects and business cases.
· Work closely with directors and legal colleagues to ensure good governance of the territory through the implementation of sound policy using the AIG Policy Making Framework, strategic cross-governmental approaches to problem solving and the delivery of excellent public services.
- Lead the government’s communications effort by delivering effective, proactive and reactive external communications acting as the main point of contact for colleagues’ and media enquiries, producing and disseminating timely and consistent messaging, and overseeing communication products and official communication channels.
- Advise on and support development of AIG internal messaging to ensure all AIG staff are appropriately aware of, and engaged in, AIG activity.
- Manage and positively influence a broad network of stakeholders in Ascension and beyond, including Island Councillors, British military (RAF, MOD, DIO), US military, other island-based employers and Whitehall.
- Provide support to the Administrator’s Office and the SMT in the execution of their areas of responsibility.
Health and safety – to share in the corporate responsibility for the safety of staff and visitors to the work environment.
Continuous development – responsible for your own Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
PERSON SPECIFICATION: Knowledge, skills, experience and personal attributes
- A minimum of two years’ experience in leading, or four years supporting, policy development, strategic planning and/or operational delivery gained from central, regional or local government.
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and influencing skills – adaptable to different audiences - including report writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and form positive, professional and trusting relationships with colleagues and other stakeholders.
- Sound political and commercial awareness.
- Self-motivation, resilience and flexibility.
- High standards of personal integrity, honesty, impartiality, discretion and objectivity.
- Experience of using a variety of social media platforms to deliver key messages.
- A degree in a relevant subject would be beneficial, as would an awareness of legal frameworks.
This Job Description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
The Ascension Island Government (AIG) reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time, according to operational needs. Any changes will be discussed with you and confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with AIG the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.
Updated: August 2022