Painter / Glazier
JOB TITLE: Construction Operative – Painter and Glazier
TEAM: Repairs and Maintenance (B&C)
REPORTS TO: Building & Civil Works Team Leader
JOB PURPOSE: To work on the interior and exterior decoration of buildings and similar duties. To carry out stevedore duties as a core function, which involves working a 12-hour shift and, at times, weekends.
- To carry out the interior and exterior decoration of bungalows and other buildings.
- To liaise with the Team Leader in planning work programmes and estimating materials to be used.
- Carry out preparations for the redecoration of buildings. Report defects found.
- Window glazing & reglazing.
- To carry out mechanical/manual jointing of plasterboard.
- Erecting scaffolding and staging for the works.
- To varnish/paint wooden fences etc.
- Assist other tradesmen when required.
- To carry out stevedore duties as and when required.
- To ensure that all duties and performance standards comply with:
- Current Health & Safety Procedures
- Standards of Work – QHSE
- Customer Care Requirements
- Key Performance Indicators
- To undertake any other duties consistent with the post, and commensurate with the skills and competency of the post.
- To be responsible for equipment used to carry out job related work.
- Keeping daily records of jobs undertaken.
- To execute workmanship to a high standard and ensure it is carried out in strict compliance with QHSE processes and procedures.
- To attend any training course that AIG may specify in the further development of jobholder’s role.
- Has previously carried out some painting duties/tasks, or gained a qualification in this trade.
- Good level of physical fitness, including the ability to lift, work at heights and in differing conditions.
- Must be able to prioritise workloads and meet deadlines.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Must be able to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Knowledge of workplace safety practices including manual handling procedures and Control of Substances Hazardous to Health.
- Knowledge of First Aid practices or willingness to learn.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Effective time management and prioritising skills.
- Must hold a valid driving licence for class A & B vehicles.
- At least five practical site experience.
This Job Description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
The Ascension Island Government (AIG) reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time, according to operational needs. Any changes will be discussed with you and confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with AIG the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.
Updated: June 2022