ASCENSION ISLAND GOVERNMENT
JOB TITLE: Nursing Sister
TEAM: Health Services
REPORTS TO: Nursing Team leader and Senior Medical Officer
JOB PURPOSE: To provide high quality patient care to all patients, in accordance with the St Helena Nursing legislation and the NMC Code of Professional Conduct, for Nurses and Midwives (copy attached). This includes working nights and weekends on a rota basis.
THIS ROLE WILL BE SUBJECT TO AN ENHANCED CRIMINAL RECORDS CHECK
- To be responsible for the high quality nursing care of all patients admitted to hospital. This includes the maintenance of hygienic standards and cleanliness within the hospital environment.
- To undertake all duties related to patient care, using a holistic approach and evidence based practice. Such duties may include shift work as required.
- To attend out-patient clinics, retrieve and file clinical notes and dispense medication and treatment as prescribed by the doctors.
- To attend all emergencies, whenever on duty or out of working hours, working within a multidisciplinary team.
- if a member of the surgical team, undertake the duties of maintaining operating theatre asepsis and assist in surgical procedures whenever required.
- To maintain accurate nursing records and statistics.
7. To undertake any other related duties as requested by the Nursing Team Leader, Senior Medical Officer or Medical Officer.
- Work in a professional manner as stated in the Professional Code of Conduct (NMC).
- Maintain the health and safety of patients/clients at all times.
- Maintain patient/client confidentiality at all times.
- Maintain a high quality of patient/client care using evidence-based practice.
- Treat patients/clients politely keeping their dignity and privacy. Respect patients/clients views, making sure that personal belief does not prejudice their care.
- Practice in accordance with protocols and guidelines set by doctors and nurses, using Department of Health guidelines.
- Assist in maintaining resources to a high standard.
- Be responsible for own professional development using reflective practice and Continuing Professional Development as recommended by the NMC.
- Participate in in-service training and attend any training provided by the SMO, to keep up-to-date with current practices, recognising the limits of one’s professional competence.
- To play an active role in health promotion activities within the community, participating in the prevention of disease.
- Professionally Registered Nurse.
- Experience of working in a general hospital setting including dealing with patients with complex medical needs.
- Excellent teamwork and people skills.
- Experience of dealing with emotionally charged and pressured situations in a calm and empathetic manner.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be flexible to meet the needs of AIG and the island’s unique environment.
- Able to produce evidence of keeping skills and knowledge up-to-date / CPD by attending training courses or self-study.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Experience of nursing Covid-19 and / or intensive care patients.
- Experience of living and working in a remote setting.
This Job Description indicates the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
The Ascension Island Government (AIG) reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time according to operational needs. Any changes will be discussed with you and confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with AIG the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.
Updated: September 2020