Georgetown, Ascension, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha£16,780 - £21,525 per yearHospital
JOB TITLE: Nurse / Physiotherapy Assistant
TEAM: Health Services
REPORTS TO: Nursing Team Leader
1. As a Nurse:
To provide good quality patient care to all patients, in accordance with the St Helena Nursing legislation and the UKCC, Code of Professional Conduct, for Nurses and Midwives (copy attached). This includes working nights and weekends.
2. As a Physiotherapy Assistant:
To provide professional physiotherapy, whenever required, to patients to enhance their recovery and return to occupation and good health.
As a Nurse:
- To be responsible for the nursing care of all patients admitted to hospital.
- To undertake all duties related to patient care, using a holistic approach and evidence-based practice.
- To attend out-patient clinics, deliver notes and dispense medication and treatment as prescribed by the doctors.
- To attend all emergencies, whenever on duty or out of working hours, working within a multidisciplinary team.
- To undertake any other related duties as requested by the Senior Medical Officer and Medical Officer.
As a Physiotherapist Assistant:
- To provide professional physiotherapy, whenever required, to patients to enhance their recovery and return to occupation and good health.
- Get familiarised with the physiotherapy equipment at the hospital and be responsible for the use, calibration and maintenance of the equipment.
- Advise patients about their progress and inform the doctors.
- Educate and advise other hospital staff and other interested persons in enhancing recovery of patients.
- Maintain good standards in physiotherapy practice by regular updates and courses – by distance learning or practical courses in the UK.
- Work in a professional manner as stated in the Professional Code of Conduct, (UKCC).
- Maintain the health and safety of patients/clients at all times.
- Maintain patient/ client confidentiality at all times.
- Maintain a high quality of patient/client care using evidence-based practice.
- Treat patients/clients politely keeping their dignity and privacy. Respect patients/clients views, making sure that personal belief does not prejudice their care.
- Practice in accordance with protocols and guidelines set by doctors and nurses, using UK Department of Health guidelines.
- Assist in maintaining resources to a high standard.
- Be responsible for own professional development using reflective practice and Continuing Professional Development as recommended by the UKCC.
- Participate in in-service training and attend any training, to keep up-to-date with current practices, recognising the limits of one’s professional competence.
- Play an active role in health promotion activities to the community, participating in the prevention of disease.
- Must be able to work as a good team leader within a multidisciplinary team; and working with the rest of the hospital staff in ways that best serve the patients’ interests.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: Knowledge, skills, experience and personal attributes
- Professionally Registered Nurse.
- Experience working in a general Hospital setting including dealing with patients with complex needs.
- Approved certification as a Physiotherapy Assistant or Nurse and sound experience in providing physiotherapy to patients.
- Must have excellent teamwork and people skills.
- Experience dealing with emotionally charged and pressured situations.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Produce evidence of keeping skills and knowledge up-to-date by attending training courses or self-study.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Clean, valid A & B driving licence.
This Job Description indicates the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
The Ascension Island Government (AIG) reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time according to operational needs. Any changes will be discussed with you and confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with AIG the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.