Midwife (temporary cover)
ASCENSION ISLAND GOVERNMENT
JOB TITLE: Midwife/Mother and Child Community Health Nurse
REPORTS TO: Senior Medical Officer
TEAM: Health Services
- To provide good quality patient care to all patients, in accordance with the St Helena Nursing legislation and the UK NMC, Code of Professional Conduct, for Nurses and Midwives.
- To provide advice, care and support for women, their partners and families before, during and after childbirth.
- To be responsible for the nursing care of all patients admitted to hospital. Such care shall include the maintenance of hygienic standards and cleanliness within the hospital environment.
- To undertake all duties related to patient care, using a holistic approach and evidence based practice.
- Carrying out duties as instructed by the Senior Medical Officer and/or delegated staff in respective fields in order to achieve good standards of medical care to patients, to include shift work as required.
- To attend out-patient clinics with doctors if required, deliver notes and dispense with medications and treatments as prescribed by the doctors.
- Supporting Well-Baby service, including vaccinations and basic developmental assessment.
- To attend all emergencies when on duty or out of working hours, working within a multidisciplinary team.
- Maintain accurate nursing notes and statistics.
- Maintain and carry out a Cervical Screening Programme for all eligible women as per Hospital Guidelines.
- Provide advice, care and support for Woman’s Health Issues, referring to a Medical Officer where appropriate.
- Professional care management on all pregnant women (ante-natal, during labour and post-natal) as per guidelines and the NMC, Code of Professional Conduct for Nurses and Midwives.
- Child health care and development including immunisation up to school leaving age as per guidelines.
- Practice according to protocols and guidelines set by the medical/nursing team and the Department of Health.
- To undertake any other nursing duties as requested by the Senior Medical Officer and Medical Officer. This may require you to perform occasional shift work in the event of critical staff shortage as determined by the SMO.
- Conduct all nursing/midwifery duties in a professional manner as stated in the NMC, Code of Professional Conduct for Nurses and Midwives.
- Maintain the health and safety of all patients/clients and self.
- Maintain patient/client confidentiality at all times.
- Maintain a high standard of patient/client care using evidence based practice.
- Treat patients/clients politely keeping their dignity and privacy. Respect patients/clients views, making sure that personal beliefs do not prejudice their care.
- Practice in accordance with protocols and guidelines set by the nursing team and doctors using Department of Health guidelines.
- Assist in maintaining resources to a high standard.
- Plan and participate in in-service training and on the job training to up-date knowledge and skills of the nursing team, and recognise the limit of own competence.
- Be responsible for your own professional development using reflective practice Continuing Professional Development as recommended by the NMC
- Plan and implement health promotion activities for the community.
- Must be able to work as a good team leader within a multidisciplinary team.
- Must be a professionally registered Midwife with a minimum of 3 years’ experience as a qualified midwife.
- Must show evidence of Continuing Professional Development and Training.
- Will need to show evidence of the following:
- an intuitive, caring, objective and flexible approach;
- strong team working and advocacy skills;
- a calm and alert manner, especially in stressful situations;
- the ability to react quickly and effectively;
- strength, stamina and physical fitness;
- a commitment to equal treatment for all women, irrespective of their background or circumstances.
This Job Description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
The Ascension Island Government (AIG) reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time, according to operational needs. Any changes will be discussed with you and confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with AIG the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.