JOB TITLE: Marine Mechanic
TEAM: Marine Team (with connections to the Motor Transport (MT) team)
REPORTS TO: Marine Team Leader
JOB PURPOSE: To undertake maintenance and repairs to all marine engines and outboard motors including sea rescue craft engines for AIG and its service users. Be an active member of the sea rescue service, undertaking relevant training and being a member of the sea rescue on-call schedule.
- To undertake all aspects of marine engine maintenance (including all outboard motors and repairs) and Sea Rescue craft.
- Carry out repairs including arc welding, mig welding and oxygen / acetylene welding and cutting.
- Carry out marine craft electrical fault-finding, including the use of diagnostic testing equipment.
- To implement a service / maintenance schedule for all marine craft engines and outboard motors.
- Attend marine craft engine training / diagnostic training on outboard motors.
- Strip and repair all marine craft engines, gearboxes, steering systems, heat exchangers, including outboard motors, gearboxes and impellers.
- Carry out servicing and repairs to marine craft afloat, including breakdowns at sea.
- Check all machinery and equipment before use and report any faults to the Team Leader immediately.
- Carry out corrosion control to pontoon engine enclosures when required.
- Provide a basic level of maintenance training to sea rescue service team members.
- Carry out shipwork as required.
- Undertake other related duties as required by the Marine and Motor Transport Team Leaders.
- Ensure the workshop and work area is kept clean and free of hazards.
- Maintain an up-to-date inventory of sea rescue vessel and associated safety / operational equipment and critical spare parts
Health and safety – to share in the corporate responsibility for the safety of staff and visitors to the office/work environment.
Continuous development – responsible for your own Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and to attend any training that AIG might arrange for your current or future development in your role
PERSON SPECIFICATION: Knowledge, skills, experience and personal attributes
- Minimum of three years’ experience as a mechanic, working with marine engines and outboard motors.
- Sound practical knowledge of mechanical diesel and petrol engines, including marine and outboard engines.
- Must have or be willing to work towards NVQ Level 3 Mechanics, or certified competent by experience from working as a mechanic on marine and outboard engines.
- A clean and valid driver’s license class A.
- Working knowledge of health and safety in the workplace, particularly within a mechanical workshop.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships and communication with colleagues, managers and customers.
- Previous experience of being a member of a sea rescue service.
- Experience in maintaining and repairing marine craft hulls and superstructure.
- Fitting and turning skills.
- A clean and valid driver’s licence class B-J.
This Job Description indicates the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
The Ascension Island Government (AIG) reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time according to operational needs. Any changes will be discussed with you and confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with AIG the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.
Updated: March 2021