Marine Conservation Placement
JOB TITLE: Marine Conservation Placement
TEAM: Conservation and Fisheries
REPORTS TO: Marine Conservation Team Leader
JOB PURPOSE: To work with the Marine Conservation Team to monitor marine ecosystems around Ascension and deliver the objectives of the Ascension Island Marine Protected Area.
- Monitor Ascension Island’s marine environment using research methods set out in the MPA Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Strategy
- Conduct abundance, age, growth, reproductive and diet studies on marine species around Ascension Island, in particular for recreationally fished species
- Input data into databases and carry out quality assurance of data holdings
- Collaborate with external researchers and assist in other marine projects that deliver the objectives of the MPA Management Plan
- Assist the DNA Biomonitoring Project Officer with the collection of specimens for barcoding, DNA extraction and metabarcoding of monitoring samples.
- Assist the Shark Project Officer with shark movement studies, oceanographic monitoring and community engagement work to deliver the outputs of project DPLUS161
- Assist the Marine Plastics Coordinator with shoreline survey, seabird and fish impact monitoring and community engagement work to deliver the outputs of project DPLUS176
- Assist with the preparation of reports and presentations for donors, project partners and non-specialist audiences
- Assist with the management of the Marine/Fisheries Laboratory at the Conservation Centre in Georgetown; ensuring that it is clean, well-stocked and services the project efficiently
- Assist with the management and maintenance of the survey boats, scientific equipment and facilities.
- Initiate and take part in engagement activities with the island community and school to build awareness of, and support for, marine conservation and responsible resource use
- Publicise the MPA and the work of the AIG Marine Team through articles and social media posts
- To support the wider aims of the AIG Conservation and Fisheries Directorate by assisting with other projects including terrestrial conservation and protected area management as required.
- To undertake the main duties of the post (detailed above) to the highest possible standard
- To Comply with Health and Safety at Work procedures. Conduct all work in a safe and responsible manner, including fieldwork in hazardous and remote locations. Ensure staff, volunteers and visitors working with you conduct all work in a safe and responsible manner, guided by the relevant risk assessments.
- Work closely with other on-Island team members, external project partners and other stakeholders to complete the main duties of the post and develop a sustainable programme of marine research and conservation on Ascension Island.
- To report regularly to the Marine Conservation Team Leader and external project leads/partners to ensure that all parties are meeting their targets and goals.
- To abide by the AIGCFD data management policy with regards to responsible archiving and documentation of scientific datasets
- A sound knowledge of marine conservation and fisheries biology
- Post-16 education including study of biology or environmental sciences
- A full driving license
- A good level of physical fitness and be able to work for short periods at sea, in sometimes challenging conditions
- Numerate and computer literate, with a sound knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Good interpersonal skills with a proven ability to work effectively in a small team
- Self-motivated, happy working both independently and in a team setting, and willing to sometimes work extended hours (often at weekends) and on projects outside of core duties if required.
- An advanced SCUBA qualification (PADI Rescue Diver or equivalent), with significant diving experience (ideally 100+ logged dives) and an excellent awareness of dive safety (Note: Ascension Island has no re-compression chamber so responsible and conservative diving is of paramount importance)
- Experience in conducting underwater surveys (fish and invertebrates), and/or tagging of marine species
- A powerboat handling qualification and experience of handling RIBs at sea
This Job Description indicates the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
The Ascension Island Government (AIG) reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time according to operational needs. Any changes will be discussed with you and confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with AIG the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.
Updated: February 2023