Invertebrate Project Officer
JOB TITLE: Invertebrate Project Coordinator
TEAM: Conservation & Fisheries
REPORTS TO: National Park Warden
- To support the integration of invertebrate conservation into Ascension Island Government work
- Lead on comprehensive invertebrate surveys on the island across a range of habitats
- Create a comprehensive database of terrestrial invertebrate species on Ascension and start to establish a DNA referencing
- Produce conservation plans for endemic invertebrate species in collaboration with Conservation Team colleagues and external experts
- Produce surveillance monitoring guides and control plans for high risk non-native invertebrate species in collaboration with Conservation Team colleagues and external experts
- Collate existing terrestrial invertebrate records and design new database
- Undertake invertebrate sampling at sites around Ascension following the guidance of external experts
- Train Conservation Team colleagues and volunteers in invertebrate sampling techniques
- Process and sort survey samples. Identify to species level or a higher taxonomic level where possible, or prepare samples to be sent to external experts for identification
- Create reference collection of DNA samples for species identified
- Assist Conservation Team colleagues and external experts with the production of conservation plans for endemic species and control plans for high risk non-native species.
- Conduct surveillance monitoring for high risk non-native species
- Trial methods of big-headed ant control following guidance form external experts
- Design and deliver public outreach and education events
- Produce a booklet and short film showcasing Ascension’s endemic invertebrates
- Produce project reports and updates for project partners and funders
Health and Safety: Conduct all work in a safe and responsible manner, including fieldwork in hazardous and remote locations – ensure that a first aid kit and radio are carried at all times in the field. Only use machinery/ equipment for which a valid, in date, licence is held.
Continuous Development: Continuous development of knowledge through study and involvement in scientific programmes.
Interaction with the Public: To interact with all members of the public, both the island community and visitors, in a courteous manner and to promote conservation efforts on Ascension where appropriate.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: Knowledge, skills, experience and personal attributes
- BSc in Biology, Environmental Science or equivalent vocational experience
- A sound knowledge of invertebrate conservation and biology
- Experience of invertebrate sampling techniques
- A full driving license
- A good level of physical fitness
- Numerate and computer literate, with a sound knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Access, Excel, Word) and GIS
- Experience of basic data analysis and technical report writing
- Good interpersonal skills with a proven ability to work effectively in a small team.
· The successful candidate will be self-motivated, happy working both independently and in a team setting, and willing to sometimes work extended hours (often at weekends) and on projects outside of core duties if required.
- Experience of living and working on conservation issues in small and remote communities and/or on small islands and having an appreciation of how they run
- Project management experience of complex projects
- Experience of taking complex scientific information and communicating it to a wide variety of audiences
- Use of MS Access databases
- Experience of invertebrate specimen preservation
- Experience in photography and film making
- 4x4 off road driving experience
This Job Description indicates the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
The Ascension Island Government (AIG) reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time according to operational needs. Any changes will be discussed with you and confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with AIG the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.
Updated: July 2021