JOB TITLE: Hydroponics Assistant
TEAM: Operations and Facilities
REPORTS TO: Hydroponics Manager
JOB PURPOSE: Supporting the Hydroponics Manager to ensure the supply of crops to the island; enabling regular supplies of food with consistent high quality and ensuring that food production is managed as efficiently and profitably as possible, also managing the relationships with retailers and customers.
- To work with the Hydroponics Manager to develop, cultivate and maintain a year-round supply of crops at the Hydroponics site.
- Assist in the production of crops at the hydroponics site, including seeding, tending, and harvesting to ensure maximum efficiency of the site.
- Assist in the management of pest control.
- Work with the Hydroponics Manager to produce and maintain working procedures for the Hydroponics site including (health and safety procedures).
- Work with the Hydroponics Manager to manage the administration for the Hydroponics site including sales information, efficiency statistics, stock use and management, managing supplies and producing monthly reports.
- Managing the communications with customers and retailers, through a range of media, about the crop production and varieties
- Manage the customer orders and supplies, producing monthly sales, productivity and efficiency data (electronically).
- To ensure that the hydroponics site is kept in a clean, safe and tidy workspace and that all equipment used is cleaned, maintained and safely stored at all times.
- To work flexibly and support broader Operations and Facilities work in other areas, subject to knowledge and skills.
- Deputising for the Hydroponics Manager during periods of leave etc.
Health and Safety: Carrying out all work in a safe and responsible manner, including fieldwork in hazardous and remote locations, and some evening/night time work.
Continuous Development: Continuous development of knowledge through study and involvement in scientific programmes.
To provide high standards of customer service when dealing with members of the public, other sections of AIG or external organisations.
Vehicle use: To ensure that any usage of AIG vehicles is compliant with the vehicle usage policy, including reducing unnecessary journeys and maximising vehicle sharing where possible.
SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE / EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
- A good level of education
- Experience of gardening or growing a range of crops
- Able to plan their own work
- Outstanding team working skills
- Good communications skills both oral and written.
- Must be physically fit and like outdoor work in all weather conditions.
- Must have a strong awareness of safety issues
- A clean valid driving licence for class A & B vehicles is essential.
- Experience using Microsoft Office products including Excel, Word, and Outlook
This Job Description indicates the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
The Ascension Island Government (AIG) reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time according to operational needs. Any changes will be discussed with you and confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with AIG the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.
Updated: November 2023