ASCENSION ISLAND GOVERNMENT
JOB TITLE: Higher Level Teaching Assistant
REPORTS TO: Head Teacher
To predominantly work within the primary sector of school, but will willing and able to work with children in the senior sector on a 1:1 or small group basis. To work independently providing Preparation, Planning and Assessment (PPA) cover with a significant commitment to whole class teaching. To work collaboratively with class teachers to plan, teach and assess the primary curriculum so all pupils, including pupils with special educational needs and disabilities, may achieve success in line with the school vision, ethos and aims.
THIS ROLE WILL BE SUBJECT TO AN ENHANCED CRIMINAL RECORDS CHECK
Support for pupils:
1. To develop a knowledge of a range of learning support needs and to develop an
understanding of the specific needs of the pupils to be supported;
2. To supervise and provide particular support for pupils, ensuring their safety and access
to learning activities;
3. Taking into account the learning support involved, to aid the pupils to learn as effectively
as possible both in group situations and on his/her own by, for example:
• clarifying and explaining instructions;
• ensuring the child is able to use equipment and materials provided;
• assisting in weaker areas, e.g. language, behavior, social skills, reading, spelling,
• helping children to concentrate on and finish work set;
• meeting physical needs as required whilst encouraging independence;
• assisting with the development and implementation of Individual Education/Behavior Plans and Personal Care programmes;
• developing appropriate resources to support the children;
• providing support for individual children inside and outside the classroom to enable
them to interact with others and engage in activities led by the teacher.
4. Establish a constructive relationship with the pupils and interact with them according to
5. To promote the inclusion and acceptance of all children;
6. To set challenging and demanding expectations and promote self-esteem and
7. To provide the necessary pastoral care to enable children to feel secure and happy;
8. To provide feedback to pupils in relation to progress and achievement under the
guidance of the teacher;
The post holder will be required to work flexibly as part of the teaching support staff with
guidance from the SLT and class teachers to fulfil the following responsibilities:
• Teach small groups of Systematic Synthetic Phonics (SSP) using a pre-approved
scheme (currently Read, Write inc).
• Work closely with class teachers to plan, provide and assess targeted 1:1 and small
group interventions to ensure all learners are making progress.
• Work closely with the school SENCo to deliver and evaluate targeted special educational
needs interventions to ensure all of our children with SEND are meeting their specific,
• Prepare lessons with teachers, contributing to the planning cycle including evaluating
and adjusting lessons in response to pupils’ needs.
• Teach whole classes as part of PPA provision according to the PPA timetable. Also to
provide short-term cover within any age group in response to teacher absence.
• Provide verbal and written feedback on lesson content, pupil responses to learning
activities and pupil behaviour, to teachers and pupils in line with school policy.
• Motivate and progress pupils’ learning following school policies and guidance from class
• Organise and safely manage the appropriate learning environment and resources.
• Assess pupils’ responses to learning tasks and where appropriate, modify methods to
meet individual and/or group needs.
• Promote and support the inclusion of all pupils, including those with specific needs, both
in the classroom as part of first-quality teaching and through intervention work.
• Use positive behaviour management strategies in line with the school’s policy and
procedures to contribute to a purposeful learning environment and encourage pupils to
interact and work cooperatively with others.
• Provide information relating to pupil progress for parents and carers, teachers and senior
leaders upon request and to contribute to assigned pupils’ annual reports at the request
of the pupils’ class teachers and SLT.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: Knowledge, skills, experience and personal attributes
This Job Description indicates the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
The Ascension Island Government (AIG) reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time according to operational needs. Any changes will be discussed with you and confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with AIG the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.