JOB TITLE: Healthcare Assistant
TEAM: Health Services
REPORTS TO: Senior Medical Officer
JOB PURPOSE: To work as part of a team to carry out duties as directed by the Senior Medical Officer and / or delegated staff in respective fields in order to provide exceptional standards of medical care to patients.
- Maintain good cleanliness and asepsis on the hospital premises as per protocol. Healthcare Assistants are responsible for routine daily cleaning and deep cleaning operations.
X-Rays – To perform duties as instructed by the Senior Medical Officer after appropriate training and supervision, and follow the protocol of the X-ray unit.
Ambulance Driver/Attendant – To perform stand-by duties as an ambulance driver and first responder. Whilst on stand-by the Healthcare Assistant will carry a mobile phone at all times to be available at short notice. Stand-by duties are carried out on alternative weekdays and weekends. To drive an ambulance with 4x4 capabilities. Additional training will be provided as required. A doctor will always attend the emergency, however, basic Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation and First Aid training will be provided.
- To perform duties as determined by the professional nurse on duty during normal working hours, and to assist with patient care and various hospital procedures after adequate training, supervision and approval by the medical officers.
- Attend to emergencies whenever requested by the Senior Medical Officer (during the routine “on-call” time and at any other time if deemed absolutely necessary).
- Work as part of a close hospital team in order best serve the patients’ interests.
- To be polite, empathetic, honest, trustworthy and able to maintain patient confidentiality.
- To undertake any other related duties as requested by the Senior Medical Officer, Medical Officer or Senior Professional Nurse (Team Leader).
Health and safety – to share in the corporate responsibility for the safety of staff and visitors to the office/work environment.
Continuous development – responsible for your own Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- To ensure patient confidentiality is maintained at all times.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: Knowledge, skills, experience and personal attributes
- Motivated with a keen eye for detail and able to work effectively as part of a team.
- Experience in a hospital, care home or similar environment, providing patient care.
- Ability and interest to acquire further skills in basic patient care under the supervision of the nursing and medical staff, and be motivated and willing to learn new skills as required.
- A discrete and sensitive manner, with understanding of patient confidentiality.
- An interest in continued personal development and maintain up-to-date skills and knowledge. Willingness to attend training on island or overseas as required.
- A clean valid driving licence of classes A & B (in Ascension / St Helena) or B (in UK) is essential due to ambulance driving responsibilities.
- 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) including Maths, English and at least one Science subject.
1. Nursing, Nursing Assistant, X-Ray technician or similar experience of working in a hospital environment is desirable.
2. X-Rays – Appropriate training in basic X-Ray techniques will be provided, together with annual update training.
3. Prior experience in performing basic X-Rays under supervision will be an advantage. Must be prepared to undertake training as an X-Ray technician if appointed.
This Job Description indicates the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
The Ascension Island Government (AIG) reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time according to operational needs. Any changes will be discussed with you and confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with AIG the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.