Facilities Operative - Waste Management / Facilities
JOB TITLE: Facilities Operative
TEAM: Waste Management / Facilities Support
REPORTS TO: Waste Management / Facilities Support Team Leader
JOB PURPOSE: To support the team leader and work as part of the team to organize and manage AIG’s waste collection, disposal and recycling facilities.
In accordance with the directions of the Team Leader, to provide a support service to AIG users and AIG operations.
To assist with collection and disposal of refuse and any other hazardous waste if required.
- Assist with general duties relating to pools.
- To keep accurate records of fuel levels and complete all relevant documentation as required.
- Cleaning and washing of vehicles.
- Carry out routine inspections, maintenance and calibration of the fuel station equipment, including health and safety checks as well as fire fighting equipment checks.
- Complete storage, transfers and disposal of fuel in a safe manner.
- Monitor the quality and performance of waste services.
- To prepare vehicles for crushing in the car baler, as well as operating the car baler.
- To operate, service and maintain the incinerator whilst monitoring waste figures and fuel consumption.
- To assist in activities to recycle materials where possible.
- To maintain equipment as per the Corrosion control schedule.
- To operate plant equipment as requested by your Team Leader.
- Carry out ship work as and when required.
- To undertake any other related duties as and when requested by the Team Leader.
- To work flexibly and support broader Operations and Facilities work in other areas, subject to knowledge and skills.
- To comply with all Health & Safety requirements.
- Responsible for equipment used at work.
- To attend any training course which AIG specify in the further development of job holders role.
- Has previously carried out a range of duties in some of the areas listed above or is willing to learn and undertake these tasks.
- Working knowledge of Health & Safety processes and procedures.
- The ability to monitor and keep daily records.
- Effective communication skills.
- Time management skills.
- Knowledge of workplace safety practices including manual handling procedures and Control of Substances Hazardous to Health.
- Must have a pleasant and professional approach and attitude to staff and customers.
- Knowledge of First Aid Practices or willingness to learn.
- The ability to drive class A, B & C vehicles and a full licence for these categories.
This Job Description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
The Ascension Island Government (AIG) reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time, according to operational needs. Any changes will be discussed with you and confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with AIG the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.
Update: August 2022