What are we looking for?
The Ascension Island Government is currently looking for a suitably qualified Facilities Officer to work within our Operations Directorate.
Ascension is a small volcanic island situated in the sub-tropical South Atlantic with a warm stable climate (26-34°C). This is a unique opportunity to contribute to our future success and to be part of a welcoming and friendly island community.
This is a new role, forming an essential part of the Facilities Team. The successful applicant will be responsible for coordinating the Facilities Management teams and will ensure that the Ascension Island Government's infrastructure and estate are maintained to a high standard.
An experienced administrator; you will oversee the programming and subsequent audit of compliance led work, identifying shortcomings and driving improvements in the process. You will be producing reports on performance, ensuring materials are received and that all health and safety documentation is in place before work starts. Preferably you will hold a qualification from the Institute of Workplace and Facilities Management (or equivalent) but must be willing to work towards a qualification as a minimum.
What are we offering?
We are offering a two year contract with a salary of £8,500 - £10,000 per year (taxable in Ascension Island) dependent upon experience. You will also receive benefits worth over £10,000 per year:
- 37.5 hour working week
- Rent free accommodation (with electricity and water allowances)
- A food allowance
- Relocation costs from country of recruitment to Ascension Island
- 30 days annual holiday (with additional 9 days public holidays)
- One mid-contract return journey to the country of recruitment/residence
- A gratuity payable on the successful completion of a 2 year contract
This appointment will be subject to:
- Satisfactory employment references
- Basic criminal record check
- Medical clearance (Ascension Island has limited Medical Facilities. If you believe that you have a medical condition that may be difficult to treat here please contact our Senior Medical Officer for a confidential discussion at firstname.lastname@example.org)
We are looking for the post holder to start as soon as possible. For an informal discussion about the role please email email@example.com or call +247 67000 ext 150
Interviews will be carried out via Skype or teleconference
Need more information?
Please see the job description for further information about the role.
- Be responsible for coordinating and delivering the Asset Management Strategy
- Monitor the planned maintenance programme and report progress to senior managers.
- Assist in the delivery of all hard and soft FM services to internal and external customers.
- Monitor the delivery of reactive maintenance work throughout the estate, updating the maintenance schedule and report on performance to senior managers.
- Allocate labour schedules to trades persons and monitor completion, checking for accuracy and close out completed works.
- Assist with the AIG waste management strategy to ensure island recycling commitments are met.
- Monitor the compliance led programme ensuring the annual and periodic inspections and tests are complete and signed off. Assist also with auditing of records and following up on discrepancies.
- Assist the review of existing procurement routes and material specifications to ensure value for money is achieved.
- Carry out other administrative tasks to support the running of the Operations and Facilities office when required.
- Responsible to the Facilities Manager.
- Supporting the FM directorate, identifying needs and delivering objectives.
- Act as PA to the Director of Operations and Facilities for short periods of absence when required.
- Strong experience of performing administrative duties and be able to prioritise own workload
- IWFM Level 2/3 Qualification (or willingness to work towards).
- Strong IT skills, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook and PDF.
- Experience of managing, organising and keeping complex records including archiving.
- Ability to process information and prioritise urgent work including coordination of in house labour.
- Proven eye for detail with the ability to solve problems and identify improvements.
- Ability to deal with members of the public and island stakeholders professionally and with courtesy at all times.
- Must be flexible to meet the needs of the organisation.
- Experience of using Facilities Management software. Training can be provided if necessary.