JOB PURPOSE: With responsibility for the property and infrastructure services across various parts of the island, this post will manage several small in-house teams, delivering services to the island by planning, developing and maintaining its estate and infrastructure.
- Develop and maintain a rolling plan of regular maintenance and repair to inform capital and cyclical budgeting processes.
- Oversee the AIG properties and estate portfolio to ensure its fitness for purpose.
- Forecast, allocate and supervise the financial and physical resources of the Facilities teams in line with budget and project cycles.
- Effective oversight and maintenance of AIG assets, properties and estate infrastructure.
- Develop and manage the standards and quality requirements of work through the team leaders.
- Manage the procurement for the materials and equipment supply chain and logistics.
- Manage and review service contracts.
- Conduct and document facilities condition reports.
- Recommend maintenance, mechanical, electrical and facility design modifications where necessary.
- Identify, cost and recommend appropriate Capital Projects.
- Provide oversight to ensure work practices comply with quality, health and safety protocols and legislation.
- Support the Director of Operations and Facilities in responding to enquiries from the Island Council and its committees.
- Responsible to the Director of Operations & Facilities for all facilities based teams.
- To play a key role in the management and service provision of the facilities and operations directorate and foster a teamwork approach.
- Provide oversight and support to the Team Leaders in managing budgets.
- Share in the corporate responsibility for the safety of staff, external contractors and visitors to and within the workplace environment.
- Uphold standards and the enforcement of non-compliance corrective action in respect of all facilities matters.
- Continuous development – responsible for your own and supporting your staff members Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- Other requirements as may arise from time to time within the scope of the role.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: Knowledge, skills, experience and personal attributes
- A first degree or higher diploma in an appropriate construction or related technical discipline.
- Extensive experience in site management or construction and property maintenance supervision, with experience in a managerial capacity.
- Demonstrable experience of estimating, costing, planning and negotiating projects and contracts.
- Hands on use of CAD and the general suite of Microsoft and/or other IT software.
- Assertive with a personable approach to communicating effectively whilst able to constructively challenge staff and management at all levels.
- Disciplined, methodical and with excellent attention to detail and a proactive approach to resolving problems.
- Clean driving licence for class A & B vehicles.
- QHSE certified training and related practical work experience.
- Skill and experience of cross and multi-disciplinary management.
- Experience of living and working in remote or challenging locations.
This Job Description indicates the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
The Ascension Island Government (AIG) reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time according to operational needs. Any changes will be discussed with you and confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with AIG the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.
Updated: July 2020