Georgetown, Ascension, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha£14,125 - £14,125 per yearfacilities
JOB TITLE: Electrician
TEAM: Repairs & Maintenance MEP
REPORTS TO: Repairs and Maintenance Team Leader MEP (Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing)
- To undertake electrical system installation work, together with the maintenance and testing of industrial equipment, medical and domestic appliances. All work to be undertaken in compliance with the current IEE Regulations and in safe manner to meet Health & Safety requirements. Also assist in the installation of air conditioning/refrigeration units and plumbing
- To carry out stevedore duties as and when required, this involves working a 12-hour shift and at times weekends.
- To undertake electrical installation work on lighting and power circuits to both industrial, administration and domestic properties
- To install, inspect, maintain and repair industrial and domestic electrical equipment and appliances to include air-conditioning and refrigeration units.
- To inspect and test electrical installations.
- To maintain, inspect and repair specialist electrical equipment in the Hospital and Dental Surgery.
- To maintain, inspect and repair a wide range of plant, equipment and portable tools.
- To undertake portable appliance testing to ensure all appliances are operating to the safety standard laid down in the Electrical Safety Regulations.
- To install and maintain electric systems in respect of fire alarms and detection equipment.
- To follow all guidance in respect of AIG’s Health & Safety processes and procedures.
- To carry out stevedore duties as and when required.
- To assist other tradesmen when required and to undertake any other related duties as may be requested by the Team Leader and be willing to work reasonable overtime as required.
- To ensure compliance with AIG’s Health & Safety processes and procedures.
- To learn and be responsible for machinery, when operating, and other specialist equipment (Tools of the Trade).
- To participate in all training initiatives specific to the post holders duties.
- To keep daily records of tasks undertaken.
- To take reasonable care of own and others safety; to co-operate with managers/supervisors in complying with health and safety duties; to report incidents, accidents, faults etc.
- To provide an out of hours on-call service in line with the On-call Roster.
- To provide high standards of customer service when dealing with members of the public or external organisations.
- To ensure that any usage of AIG vehicles is compliant with the vehicle usage policy, including reducing unnecessary journeys and maximising vehicle sharing where possible.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: Knowledge, skills, experience and personal attributes
- Must have a reasonable standard of education.
- At least five years’ experience as a competent electrician.
- A recognised qualification or certificate of competence in electrical installation and maintenance of electrical appliances.
- An ability to plan and undertake work, using one’s own initiative.
- Must have working knowledge of Health & Safety at Work procedures and requirements.
- A clean, valid driver’s licence for class A, B & C vehicles.
- To be computer literate.
- Effective Communication Skills.
- Time Management Skills.
- Knowledge of First Aid Practices or willingness to learn.
This Job Description indicates the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
The Ascension Island Government (AIG) reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time according to operational needs. Any changes will be discussed with you and confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with AIG the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.
Updated: January 2024