What are we looking for?
The Ascension Island Government is currently looking for a suitably qualified Electrician to work within our Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing (MEP) Department.
Ascension is a small volcanic island situated in the sub-tropical South Atlantic with a warm stable climate (26-34°C). This is a unique opportunity to contribute to our future success and to be part of a welcoming and friendly island community.
The successful applicant will join our MEP team, working on a range of different projects from routine maintenance, building renovations and new build projects. Ascension Island is currently going through a £5m project to upgrade the Island’s infrastructure so you will be joining us during an exciting and busy period. The successful candidate will also be required to participate in our ship work operations which occur periodically through the year (approximately 14 ships a year) and can involve working 12-hour shifts and at times, weekends. The successful applicant will hold a recognised qualification, or certificate of competence, in electrical installation and maintenance of electrical appliances.
What are we offering?
We are offering a two year contract with a salary of £10,000 per year (taxable in Ascension Island) dependent upon experience. You will also receive benefits worth over £10,000 per year:
- 37.5 hour working week
- Rent free accommodation (with electricity and water allowances)
- A food allowance of £3,089
- Relocation costs from country of recruitment to Ascension Island
- 30 days annual holiday (with additional 9 days public holidays)
- One mid-contract return journey to the country of recruitment/residence
- A gratuity payable on the successful completion of a 2 year contract
This appointment will be subject to:
- Satisfactory employment references
- Basic criminal record check
- Medical clearance (Ascension Island has limited Medical Facilities. If you believe that you have a medical condition that may be difficult to treat here please contact our Senior Medical Officer for a confidential discussion at email@example.com)
This post is advertised as a single status position and therefore the successful applicant will not be entitled to be accompanied by any dependants.
We are looking for the post holder to start as soon as possible. For an informal discussion about the role please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +247 67000 ext 150
Interviews will be carried out via Skype or teleconference
Need more information?
Please see the job description for further information about the role. If you would like to learn more or to arrange an informal discussion about the role please call the Acting Repairs and Maintenance Team Leader - (MEP) (Geordie Peters) on +247 66138 or mobile 45628 .
- To undertake electrical system installation work, together with the maintenance and testing of industrial equipment, medical and domestic appliances. All work to be undertaken in compliance with the current IEE Regulations and in safe manner to meet QHSE requirements. Also assist in the installation of air conditioning/refrigeration units and plumbing
- To carry out stevedore duties as and when required, this involves working a 12 hour shift and at times weekends.
- To undertake electrical installation work on lighting and power circuits to both industrial, administration and domestic properties
- To install, inspect and repair industrial and domestic electrical equipment and appliances to include air-conditioning and refrigeration units.
- To inspect and test electrical installations.
- To maintain, inspect and repair specialist electrical equipment in the Hospital and Dental Surgery.
- To maintain, inspect and repair a wide range of plant, equipment and portable tools.
- To undertake portable appliance testing to ensure all appliances are operating to the safety standard laid down in the Electrical Safety Regulations.
- To install and maintain electric systems in respect of fire alarms and detection equipment.
- To follow all guidance in respect of AIG’s QHSE processes and procedures.
- To carry out stevedore duties as and when required.
To assist other tradesmen when required and to undertake any other related duties as may be requested by the Team Leader and be willing to work reasonable overtime as required.
- To ensure compliance with AIG’s QHSE processes and procedures.
- To learn and be responsible for machinery, when operating, and other specialist equipment (Tools of the Trade).
- To participate in all training initiatives specific to the post holders duties.
- To keep daily records of tasks undertaken.
- To take reasonable care of own and others safety; to co-operate with managers/supervisors in complying with health and safety duties; to report incidents, accidents, faults etc.
- Must have a reasonable standard of education.
- At least five years’ experience as a competent electrician.
- A recognised qualification or certificate of competence in electrical installation and maintenance of electrical appliances.
- An ability to plan and undertake work, using one’s own initiative.
- Must have working knowledge of Health & Safety at Work procedures and requirements.
- A clean, valid driver’s licence for class A, B & C vehicles.
- To be computer literate.
- Effective Communication Skills.
- Time Management Skills.
Knowledge of First Aid Practices or willingness to learn.