Director of Operations and Facilities
A unique vacancy has become available on Ascension Island for an experienced operations leader. Reporting to His Honour the Administrator you will have responsibility for the strategic leadership, overall management and performance of a range of teams and approximately 65 staff. Ascension Island is currently going through an exciting period of change, with significant investment and a number of projects planned to update our aging infrastructure. You will be at the heart of this work and will be responsible for building on and exploiting recent successes. The successful applicant will drive improvements in the fields of Waste Management, Health and Safety, Ship to Shore Operations and Facilities Management across our estate.
In return you will join the exclusive club of those who get to live and work on the island. Ascension Island provides a challenging occupational environment, so you will need to be resilient and adaptable in order to thrive. It also has a stable climate, between 25 and 35°C, a distinctive landscape and one of the largest nesting populations of green turtles in the Atlantic Ocean. Living on a small isolated island, in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, comes with its challenges but the small island life can also be hugely rewarding.
We are offering a two year, accompanied status, contract with a salary of up to £50,000 per year dependent on experience and qualifications (taxable in Ascension). You will also receive the following benefits:
- Rent free accommodation (with electricity and water allowances)
- A food allowance (£3,089 or £6,175 per year dependent on accompanied status)
- Relocation allowance for your personal effects, including the shipment of a vehicle
- 30 days annual holiday (with additional 9 days public holidays)
- Free primary dental and medical care
- One mid-contract return journey to your country of recruitment for you and your family (if accompanied)
- A gratuity (bonus) payable on the successful completion of a 2 year contract
This appointment will be subject to satisfactory:
- Basic DBS Check
- Employment References
- Medical Clearance (Ascension Island has limited medical facilities. If you believe that you have a medical condition that may be difficult to treat here please contact our Senior Medical Officer for a confidential discussion via email@example.com)
Shortlisted Candidates will be required to complete a written task prior to interview and we are looking for the successful applicant to start as soon as possible.
Closing Date: 27th of October 2019
Interviews: Week commencing the 4th of November 2019
Education and Qualifications
- Educated to degree level or equivalent level of experience in engineering, construction, surveying or a related discipline.
- Membership of a related professional body.
- Health and Safety qualification (such as NEBOSH Certificate)
Knowledge and Experience
- Strong project management skills and successful track record of delivering complex construction, engineering and supply contracts.
- Experience of working with a wide range of stakeholders, including those with different operational priorities.
- Experience in facilities management and contract administration.
- Problem solving skills demonstrated across multiple-disciplines.
- Effective negotiation, communication and presentation skills.
- Experience of leading and motivating teams with a diverse range of skills.
- Sound knowledge of health and safety management.
- Hold a valid driving licence.
- Strong personal resilience due to isolated location.
- Advocate for change, particularly around the incorporation and use of IT
- Experience of fleet management.
- Experience of working on harbours or dockside operations.
- Understanding of common data environments and implementation.
- Experience of delivering complex projects to a high quality under difficult conditions.