JOB TITLE: Airconditioning Mechanic
TEAM: Building & Facilities Services
REPORTS TO: Building & Facilities Services Team Leader
JOB PURPOSE: To undertake the installation and maintenance of air conditioning and refrigeration equipment, both Industrial and domestic, for AIG and its service users.
· Assist the Team Leader with planning, organising and supervising the work, ensuring the delivery of a cost effective, efficient service and complying with safe working practices.
- Install new air conditioning units, both split units and window mounted units.
- Inspect defective industrial and domestic refrigeration and industrial air conditioning equipment, identify faults and undertake remedial work.
- Inspect defective ship container refrigeration, both on board ships and on shore, identify faults and undertake remedial work.
- Undertake planned preventative maintenance on all air conditioning and refrigeration equipment for AIG and its service users.
- Work closely with the Team Leader in ordering stores stock for the maintenance of equipment and for replacement equipment.
- Collect materials from stores and keep appropriate records of both time and materials used on allocated jobs.
- Follow all guidance in respect of Health and Safety procedures and Quality Assurance.
- Undertake ship duties as and when required.
- To be a Tradesman on call after normal working hours as and when required.
· Contribute to the strategic and business development planning process of the Section as required.
· Undergo training in all aspects of the job requirements.
- To undertake other related duties as requested by the Team Leader.
- Required to take responsibility for self and others working with AIG’s Health and Safety at Work Policy.
- To monitor the maintenance programmes for servicing plant and equipment.
To attend any training course AIG may identify for the further development of your role.
- Compliance with all working guidance and procedures.
- Skills transfer and train existing staff.
- Continuous development – responsible for your own Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
PERSON SPECIFICATION: Knowledge, skills, experience and personal attributes
- GCSE or equivalent standard in English and Mathematics.
- Significant experience as a refrigeration mechanic across the areas covered above.
- A recognized qualification or certificate of competency in refrigeration and air conditioning with up F-Gas certification.
- The ability to plan and undertake work using own initiative and to develop good working relationships with colleagues and service users.
- Experience of using computerized systems in the preparation of reports.
- Working knowledge of Health & Safety at Work procedures and requirements.
- Effective time management skills.
- Knowledge of First Aid Practices or willingness to learn.
- Good interpersonal skills needed to establish confident and effective working relationships with colleagues, managers and customers.
- Must have a valid driver’s licence for class A, B and C vehicles.
- Experience in preventative maintenance on Hospital and Dental equipment, including anaesthetic equipment, sterilizer, incubators and autoclave.
· A recognized qualification or certificate of competency in mechanical engineering.
This Job Description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
The Ascension Island Government (AIG) reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time, according to operational needs. Any changes will be discussed with you and confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with AIG the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.
Updated: May 2022